European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC)

If you are a visitor to the UK from the European Economic Area (EEA) and you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your temporary stay in England, then you’ll need a valid European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC) issued by your home country. If you can’t show a valid EHIC, you may be charged for your treatment.
Your EHIC will cover you for treatment that becomes necessary during a visit to England, until you return to your country. It also covers you for the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions.
Bear in mind that the healthcare system in England may be different from that in your home country. The EHIC might not cover everything you would expect to get for free back home.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare, being flown back home, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy.

If your EHIC is lost or stolen during your visit in England and you need a replacement, then you’ll have to contact the relevant organisation in your home country to request a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).

If you do not have an EHIC and cannot obtain a PRC, you may have to pay for treatment at the standard NHS rate. The EHIC is valid for up to 5 years. Ensure that you have an EHIC before you travel and if you already have one, ensure that is it still valid before you travel.

Local Hospital

The nearest hospital with a 24-hour emergency department is Hereford County Hospital.

Full contact details are:
Hereford County Hospital
Stonebow Road
Hereford HR1 2BN
+44 1432 355 444

Emergency Medical Care

The number to dial in case of an emergency in the UK is 999.

This number is only to be used in the case of an emergency and can be used to contact fire services, ambulance services and the police.